+381 11 2686707
Đure Jakšića 3
11000 Belgrade, Serbia
The idea for the construction of St. Sava's Church located on the Vracar Plateau had existed at the beginning of this century, but it actually began in 1935 according to the designs of Prof. Bogdan Nestorovic and Prof. Aleksandar Deroko.
Trudbenik, Bureau "Dragisa Brasovan"
Prof. Bogdan Nestorovic, BSc (arch.) and Prof. Aleksandar Deroko, BSc (arch.)
Prof. Branko Pesic, BSc (arch.) and Ljiljana Tanasijevic, BSc (arch.) with collaborators
Prof. Vojislav Zadjina, BSc (civil eng.) - pre-war construction period, and Dusan Arbajter, BSc (civil eng.) with collaborators - at present
Srdjan Skulic, BSc (civil eng.); Zivko Matekalo, BSc (civil eng.); Milorad Bogdanovic, BSc (civil eng.); Predrag Popovic, BSc (civil eng.) and Dusan Mirkovic, BSc (mech.)
The works were interrupted in 1941 when the war broke out, but were renewed in 1985. The construction was continued by KMG "Trudbenik", Beograd. The designs for the continued construction were prepared by the designer Prof. Branko Pesic with his assistants, based on cross-in-square plan and geometry of the structure originally offered by the above mentioned authors. However, Prof. Pesic was in position to do smaller alterations in the design thanks to novelties in construction and building technology.
§ The church plan is cruciform dimensions 91 x 81 m, height 78 m and the dome span 31 m, so that the maximum height is 67 m to the dome plus 12 m height of the cross. From the structural point of view, the church is divided into five dilatation units: the central zone with bell towers and the main dome, and four annex parts with semi-domes. In the central part of the church with the area having diameter 39 m, the space was prepared for the construction of the large rentral dome with the gallery. This assembly, weighing almost 4,000 tons, dia 39 m, 29 m high to the base of the cross including a gold-plated cross 10 m tall on the top of the dome, and consisting of 24 trusses overlaid by double concrete shells 6 cm thick and conchae columns positioned on the gallery, was lifted to the height of 40 m.
§ The method of lifting heavy loads to great heights by pulling, from previously set lifting points, using the so called "chain" system, has become the technological property of KMG "Trudbenik", as the system already tested and verified.
§ The electro-hydraulic system under the licence of KMG "Trudbenik" was manufactured by "Prva Petoletka" from Trstenik. The computerized monitoring and control provides for safe operation in all stages of lifting of the structure.
Images source: wikipedia