+381 11 2686707
Đure Jakšića 3
11000 Belgrade, Serbia
On October 17, 1997, the Yugoslav Drama Theater was met with a real tragedy – in a huge fire the Great Stage was fire-gutted.
Zoran Radojicic, Dejan Miljkovic
The Management of the Theater had been warning the public and prominent officials for a long time that the building had had old electrical installations. In the meanwhile, the performances were played on the stage of "Bojan Stupica" Theater. The Theater was left without the great stage, the head office building, makeup-room, dressing rooms, bathrooms, a club, adequate space for the holdings and the library…
The reconstructed Yugoslav Drama Theater was open on May 32, 2003, with the opening night of the play "The Patriots" by Jovan Sterija Popović, staged by Dejan Mijač.
In the theater lobby you can see the sculpture of Mrdjan Bajic.
The building has won the following awards:
• Award from Association of Serbia Architects in 2005.
• April award from the City of Belgrade Award for Architecture and Urban Planning of the building in 2004.
• Award from the company "Vesti" for the best architectural achievement (Yugoslav Drama Theater, Belgrade) 2004.
• Grand Prix XXVI Salon architecture (Yugoslav Drama Theater, Belgrade, 2004th year)
• BPB Award for the interior (Yugoslav Drama Theater, Belgrade) 2003.